Saturday, August 18, 2012

Revised Elk Viewing Map for 2012 Rut

August Bull Elk Shedding Velvet
Small Bull Elk Shedding Velvet in 2009
I have revised the elk viewing map for the 2012 Arkansas Elk Rut to reflect the current patterns a bit more. There is another zone -- now there are 5.

There are other additions. The route to nearby hiking trails are identified to assist first time visitors with locating nearby trails. The Ponca Elk Education Center is added to the map. Visitors will want to visit this award-winning center as part of their elk viewing experience.

The new map is shown below. It incorporates the latest August observations. This year is shaping up as an outstanding elk viewing year. The rut is now just a few weeks off.

Bull elk are now beginning to scrape off their velvet, completing the antler growth cycle in preparation for the 2012 rut.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.