Monday, February 24, 2014

2/24/14 Elk Herd Locations & Trumpeter Swans

This morning there were 2 elk herds in the south end of Boxley Valley. One was right next to the river at Cave Mountain Road, and a second was in the Smith Creek field north of Smith Creek. The herd closer to the river was split on both sides of the road.

I have not seen a trumpeter swan, collared or uncollared for my last few visits to the valley. They have been a pretty permanent fixture at the Boxley Mill Pond for a few years. Recently they were joined by 4 uncollared swans. All are gone now. It will be interesting to see if the collared swans are gone now. It is possible they are just nearby.

The daffodil shoots are now showing. This is the first reliable signal that the wildflower season is just around the corner. We should see the first wild flowers in a week or two at Lost Valley and the Smith Creek Preserve as well as other hot spots all along the river. More on wildflowers soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.