Saturday, February 9, 2013

Winter Elk Sunrise in Boxley Valley

Sunrise can be stunning in winter in Boxley Valley.  This is one of my favorite bulls, Twinforks selectively lit in front of the old barn at te 43/21 instersection.  This picture is all about light.  To make a photo that feels like a painting this is the light you want.  It is angular, mixed, and subtle.  Only afterward did I notice 2 sparring bulls in the distant shadows just above twinforks hips.

The very best opportunities to get great pictures of bull elk are in the mornings. For a brief period of time angular light is warm and soft. At this same time the animals are closer to the road. The results speak for themselves.


Winter Sunrise in Boxley Valley, Buffalo National River

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.