Wednesday, November 9, 2011

11/9/11 Elk Herd Location Map

Cool weather had the elk back in Boxley Valley this morning. Typical of a November day I had the place to myself. Elk viewing was very good.

The herd in the first Ponca field was quite large. They were not only in the field, they were in the woods bordering the field. I would estimate the group at nearly 40 animals. The herd bull is still in rut. This is the same herd that has been working the fields around the Ponca Access now for a week or so on and off.

The first all-bull herds are forming. This morning the bull herd was down by the intersection of 43 and 21.  I am marking these all bull herds with a capital b following the date like this "11/9B" as distinct from just regular dates for regular herds. Read yesterday's post to better understand the late rut transition to sex-based herds.

Looks like the elk viewing weather will be pretty good through the weekend. I will check and report on the elk herds tomorrow and again on Saturday AM.

The Buffalo National River is running pretty good now after heavier-than-predicted rains last night. Check out floating possibilities and river levels at the Buffalo River Chamber of Commerce website. This website has everything you need to know about current river levels with real time USGS gauges for the entire river, along with free printable topo maps, and a links to floating outfitters.

Start with Ponca, other gauges are mid page on the same page. Here's the link. This is a great opportunity to do a fall float. Fall color is good in many places. Some outfitters float year round.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.