Wednesday, May 7, 2014

5/7/14 Elk Viewing Report -- Heat Causing Mid Summer Pattern Now

This morning there were a lot of elk in Boxley Valley when I drove through at 6AM. There was a herd bedded down close to the Ponca Access, a second bull herd at the 43/21 intersection, a 3rd in the Smith Creek Field, and a 4th by the Upper Wilderness trail head.

Here's the bad news. By 7AM, most of the elk were gone, headed for cooler ground under cover. This is the classic summer pattern that leads people to think there are no elk in Boxley Valley in the summer.  If you want to see them, they will be there very early in the morning most reliably. Today they were heading for cover at 6:30 AM.

Interesting note that the bull elk now have velvet antlers about 6 inches long.

The next big thing on the annual elk calendar is the birth of calf elk starting in June. That will be my next report on the elk, otherwise, you can see them most every day now very early in the morning, and possibly late evening. Cooler weather will extend viewing. Rainy weather also brings them out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.