Saturday, January 21, 2012

1/21/12 I Elk Herd, Bald Eagle at Mill Pond

Only about 35 elk in the valley this morning, all focused down on the south end. A late rutting bull is with a number of cow elk down by Cave Mountain Road, south of the river. A small bull herd is south of the 43/21 intersection on the east side of the road.

Like most days, none of the elk were on grazing land. This is pretty standard in Boxley Valley. Talk of elk and cattle is nonsense, elk hate cattle and avoid them. Resting fields have no grass and the elk go elsewhere. 50% of the time they forage in the cane line and in the woods. Let's get the facts straight. There is no farmer elk problem.

Yesterday there were 2 bald eagles at the mill pond, but today only 1.  Still they do roost on snags just behind the pond and are an easy shot with a long lens.

Today's elk map:


January 21, 2012 Elk Herd Map, Ponca, Arkansas 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.