Friday, January 6, 2012

Elk Viewing Excellent 1/6/12

This morning there were 3 herds in the Boxley Valley fields. In addition, there were two small groups of bulls in post-rut herds. Overall I would rate the elk viewing as excellent and pretty much covering the valley from end to end. It very seldom gets better than this.

One of the bulls has a wound on his back. I have been emailed about him. I saw him this morning and he seems to be healing well. He lost a pretty big piece of hide last year, possibly in a hunting injury, but it is not clear to me how it happened. The good news is that he seems to have scabbed over and looks healthy.

This is a perfect weekend to visit and see the elk. This weather is ideal for hiking with moderate temperatures and outstanding leaf-off scenery.

See the map for details on the elk herd locations. These are pretty reliable between updates of the map. There are more elk now in the valley than in a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.