Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Elk Herd Locations Spring 2014

This is the spring season for the elk herds in Boxley Valley. Elk viewing remains pretty good most days. Bull elk have now shed their antlers, or very soon will shed them. April 1 is the traditional date for the antler drop.

Most visible elk are now in all-cow herds. The next big event on the elk calendar is calving season around mid-June. There will be calves born before then, and also a couple of months later.

Recently the best viewing has been in Zone 1 and in Zone 5. There will be stray elk here and there. Sometimes another cow herd shows up in Zone 3.  Get out early for reliable viewing. We are now in a cross over period to warm weather that causes elk to be visible at the ends of the day, morning and evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.