Saturday, October 4, 2014

Otter Active Yesterday at Ponca Low Water Bridge

River Otter have been active a lot in the last month just below the Ponca Low Water Bridge (downstream) and yesterday was no exception. Looking downstream from the bridge there is a den on the left bank. The most reliable time is about 10AM.  River otter are a bit hard to spot, but look for wakes and unexpected ripples in the river. Usually as they feed they will work their way up river feeding along the bluffs.  Photographing river otter is an athletic event requiring fast reactions and a fast shutter speed. Expect them to stop and look back at you as in the photo below. There are at least 2 families of otter one with much smaller juveniles. Altogether there are 8 otter I think. Many photographers have shot them recently as a result of my postings about them and conversations.

River Otter Buffalo National River
River Otter by Ponca Low Water Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.