Sunday, September 23, 2012

9/23/12 Big Bulls Arriving, Rut Reaching Peak Now

Elk viewing has returned to pretty good now after 1 day of "moving" when only scattered animals could be seen. 

The best field now is at the 43/21 intersection. Elk that were in the mid valley moved to that field. The dominant bull has a very distinctive down tine right eye guard. This is the first time I have ever seen this particular "irregularity". Makes him very easy to ID. I do not think he will last long as the dominant bull for this herd, the big guys are slowly moving in. 

The Smith Creek field further south now has a legitimate herd bull class bull. He is a great bull with outstanding symmetry. I am still working to ID him, but I think he is the bull I call "Ladders". His rack is relatively narrow and long. 

The "Boxley Stud" is hanging around but has not joined a herd. I got a short video of him sparring this morning. His distinctive drop tine makes him easy to ID. He will join a herd, and likely will take over. Right now he is about a half mile from herds both on the north and south of his current location. 

There is an nice bull with a very small harem around the Ponca access. He is getting really aggressive and was running all over this morning. I didn't get a great look at him. 

There are now over 25 cars in the valley during the viewing periods. Please take care and watch for pedestrians, and please respect private property. Don't stop in the middle of the road to take pictures or gawk

The latest elk map is below:

Current Elk Herd Positions in Boxley Valley, 9/23/12

Elk Herd Locations in Boxley Valley



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.