Friday, September 12, 2014

2014 Elk Rut has Begun

Today I saw a huge bull with a herd of cows in the Smith Creek field. He showed all the behaviors of a rutting herd bull. The Smith Creek Field is at the south end of Boxley Valley just north of Smith Creek and South of the Buffalo River bridge on 21.  This bull is easy to spot but about 80 yards from the road. Cool weather had been key to triggering the rut. This is the 3rd year running that the first visible rutting bull and cow herd has been in the Smith Creek Field.  Elk have been in a south valley pattern for quite a while now. The good news is this is probably the safest place for elk viewing in the valley. Please respect private property.  This bull looks like the departed Boxley Beast who dutifully bred in Boxley Valley for years. A fine looking animal.

Son of the Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.