Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Bulls Arriving in Force, 9/30 Viewing Very Good

Visitors had a great view of a bull and his harem this morning and last night. Apparently there have been more fights and the contol of valley herds has changed the last couple of days. It is pretty standard for the first rutting bulls to be pushed off by the later arriving bulls that are much larger. The Ponca Bull bugled a few times this morning. I did not hear bugling in the south end. There is now a very strong North and South Pattern in the valley now. Morning visitors will want to visit at daybreak -- the elk move out of the fields to bedding areas along the river when the fog lifts and the sun hits them. October 1 is the traditional peak for the arrival of the biggest bulls and that has been evident the last few days. Bull fights are likely now -- I have heard reports of a few both morning and evening this week. There will be more. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.