Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Satellite Bull on Highway 21 @ Buffalo National River



This little Bull Elk is tracking a herd of cow elk in the 2014 elk rut. It is normal now for bull elk to start coming to Boxley Valley as the elk rut heats up. He will not be a herd bull, he is too small. He is a satellite-class bull and will hang around the edge of a herd intent on picking up cows that stray. According to biologists, these bulls breed more than the dominant bulls that control the herds. 
Be careful now if you visit Boxley Valley, these satellite bulls can show up at any time, they have 1 thing on their mind, and it is not traffic safety. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.