Tuesday, September 6, 2011

2011 Elk Rut Begins 9/6/11

This morning I observed elk rutting behavior for the first time. I followed a large bull a half mile that joined a small cow herd. This is the first time I have actually seen first contact. Upon joining the cow herd he began territorial bugling. There is no question this was rutting behavior.

Further down the valley another group of elk contained a large herd bull. It still had ribbons of velvet hanging off its antlers, but it did bugle a couple of times.

The bottom line is that the 2011 rut is now underway. Rutting activity will increase going forward as more cows and bulls enter the rut. This traditionally peaks around October 1.

We are now at the early beginning of the 2011 Elk Rut. Cool weather seems to have set everything in motion early. The best is still to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.