Monday, September 19, 2011

9/19/11 Elk Locations

Elk viewing in Boxley Valley has settled into a pretty stable pattern. There are two large herds, the rest of the elk are mostly stragglers, mostly wandering single bulls, or small groups of bulls.

There is a third bull with a small herd that has popped up close to Ponca, but he has only a couple of cows. As the rut progresses this herd will be consolidated into a larger herd.

We are still not at the point where the majority of the cow elk are ready to breed. When that happens, the pace of action will increase, as will the frequency of bull fights. It is still early in the 2011 Arkansas elk rut.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.