Friday, October 7, 2011

10/7/11 Herd Map Update & Report

The herd locations are pretty much the same as they have been. There is a herd in the Ponca fields, along with stragglers around the edges of it. The Boxley Beast continues to occupy the field near Smith Creek.

Last night a small herd was also located in the field across from the 43/21 intersection. I don't show it on the map because it was not there this morning. I do expect a herd to locate in that field, but there is haying underway and it probably won't happen until the bales are removed.

This promises to be another great weekend for elk viewing. We are in the thick of the rut and elk are moving around a lot.

Last Sundays elk fatality reflects the movement of satellite bulls. Expect to see bulls anywhere when you drive Boxley Valley. They do graze along the roadsides and could bolt in front of you, especially if you are speeding. Remember to drive slowly and be observant. I recommend no more than 45 mph, but I often drive only 25. It is not worth the risk to go faster.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.