Tuesday, September 17, 2013

9/17/13 JYD and Harem by Cave Mountain Road

JYD working his harem.  Herd bulls get busier as the rut goes on.  JYD is often in motion now, but nothing like he will be when there are challenger bulls hanging around.  During the rut these big guys work themselves to exhaustion protecting their cows.  By the end of the run they have lost as much as 20% of their body weight and are just exhausted.

7x7 Herd Bull and Harem 2013 Elk Rut in Ponca, Arkansas
JYD Herd Bull & Harem  2013 Elk Rut in Arkansas


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.