Friday, September 27, 2013

Speed Kills

It is important to remind everyone that this time of year visitors to Boxley Valley should keep their speed down to 45 mph or below.

During the rut elk are not quite right. Hormones have a lot to do with it. They seem more agitated and more likely to run in front of a car.

This morning there was a close call. Elk were attempting to cross the road to get to their bedding area. They ran along a fence while being followed by elk watchers.  All of them jumped the fence quickly. An oncoming truck had to be flagged down to slow down or he surely would have nailed the bull trailing the harem.  See picture below:

Elk and Speeding Truck in Fog
Close Calls Ultimately Become Accidents -- Drive Carefully

In the fog, I don't like the odds of this kind of driving behavior.  There are people and kids around, and they are looking at elk, not traffic.  Drivers in Boxley Valley need to do their part to drive slowly and safely in the elk rut season.  A woman witnessed this and said to me "You know if I killed that elk or killed a person I would never get over it -- it would ruin my life". Exactly. Going slower costs 40 seconds a mile for 6 miles.  That is not too much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.