Friday, September 13, 2013

Cow and Calf Crossing the Hailstone

Today's picture.  The herds are still pretty loose because very few cow elk are estrous. This cow and her calf are on their way to the daytime bedding area on the other side of the Hailstone.  Other elk in her herd went to a different bedding area further north.

As the rut progresses, the herds compact and are closely controlled by rutting bulls. Just a couple of weeks from now, her herd bull will keep her and her calf close by to ward off competitor bulls.

Cow and Calf Crossing the Hailstone 2013 Arkansas Elk Rut

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.