Tuesday, September 17, 2013

9/17/13 Picture of the Day -- JYD "Runs" His Harem

This is the great bull JYD, a great 7x7 that lately has been down by Cave Mountain Road.  This picture is of him mid-stride "running" his cows.  What he was doing was steering them to the trail to return to the daytime bedding areas.

This steering behavior is also used to protect and compact his harem if he perceives a threat.  In a couple of weeks when you see this, it could mean a bull fight is possible, especially if you hear another bull bugling and being answered by the herd bull.  Remember this pattern.

7x7 Bull Elk
Junk Yard Dog Running His Harem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.