Monday, September 9, 2013

9/9/13 Herd Bull Crossing the Buffalo

In very hot weather, elk head for their bedding areas early, generally migrating from the grazing areas about 8 AM, about the time the first light hits the fields. Last night barely got below 70 degrees, so we are in a summer pattern.

The good news is that it is not quite as foggy in Boxley Valley as it has been, and better news is that this very hot weather is supposed to break by the weekend

I consider the rut to begin officially this coming weekend.  There are now at least 2 herd bulls in place with harems.  Today again I heard bugling until about 9 AM.  Like yesterday it was only 5 or 6 bugles in 2 hours.  For the first time I heard 2 bulls answering one another.  The struggle for control is at hand. 

Crossing the Hailstone While Trailing His Harem

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.