Thursday, October 17, 2013

10/17/13 Elk Herd Location Map & Report

This morning there was more activity in the valley than yesterday.  The Ponca area is the busiest, but the elk are spread around. There was bugling this morning from a few directions in Ponca.  There was a good bull in the woods by the launch, and more elk around Big Hollow.  Bugling in the woods too.

At 43/21 this morning a bull was close to the road with 3 cows.  When I passed by later they were pushed back probably by viewers. This is one ugly bull with lots of points and broken tines.

Very early this morning there was a bull and harem in the north end of the Smith Creek field.  They retreated across the river. I did not see them, but I have a reliable source.  It is a good idea now to survey the whole valley when looking for elk. This is a transition period after the weather change and they can pop up anywhere.  I did see a few maverick bulls this morning.

2 huge Hereford bulls broke down a fence just north of the Mill Pond and were roaming at the roadside. These are 1,800 pound animals, twice the size of a big bull elk.  Hit one of these with a car and it could easily kill you. Be on the lookout for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.