Friday, October 18, 2013

10/18/13 Elk Herd Locations & Report

Elk were back this morning.  Other than stragglers, mostly bulls, there were no herds to be seen. From reports I am getting, it appears the evening viewing is better and that is in the Ponca fields.  Part of what impacts the viewing is the nearly full moon. Elk often feed more at night on a full moon.  Deer gun season is underway now and that can spook the herds as well.

My advice to visitors is to tour the entire valley with each visit to see where elk are located. I see evidence of possible herds the whole length of the valley. We are on another weather change with a 50% rain prediction for tonight and temps below 40.  Recent weather has jerked the herds around a bit. With the gun season and the full moon the best course is to check the whole valley.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.