Monday, October 14, 2013

10/14/13 Elk Herd Locations & Report




The Ponca fields remain the best place to see elk. There was a report of a brief fight in the field this morning, and there was a satellite bull that spent some time in the wooded area by the Ponca Access. 
In the south end there were a few elk in a small group near the river.  That was about it for elk this morning.  I believe there are 2 herds in the area, 1 on private land behind the bible camp, and a second hanging around Big Hollow. There are a lot of bulls in the area following these herds. 

The Ponca fields have had a lot of wild turkey in them for a few weeks. 

Probably the other big show are the river otter at the Ponca low water bridge. There are 2 families of 4 otter frequenting the area and they have been observed by many photographers and wildlife watchers. I have hear reports of activity ranging from about 8 AM to 3 PM.  With 2 families in the area, it is worth checking to see if they are active.  They don't have a reliable pattern like the elk, but it is worthwhile to see if you can get them. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.