Thursday, October 10, 2013

Satellite Bull by the Buffalo River, South End

While Ed Porter and I were talking after shooting Hooks for a couple of hours, a big satellite bull popped into Hook's field, perhaps in front of the herd after it sought out some water.  This nice bull has a heavy rack and is reasonably good as a subject.  Big bulls like this one are one step away from being herd bulls.  One will often see them running a harem in the early and late rut, but generally speaking they are not quite large enough yet to be dominant bulls. 

One of the signs of the rut is that bulls run along the river to find herds of cow elk. This is the basis of challenges and fights.  Seeing this bull when we did confirms that the rut is in top gear now.  We witnessed the same thing last evening in Ponca.  

bull elk
Satellite Bull by Buffalo South End



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.