Saturday, October 26, 2013

10/26/13 Elk Herd Locations & Report

Elk viewing was pretty good this morning, but you had to be out early.  The Ponca herd was out, but it went back to the river by 8:30, in contrast to yesterday's extended viewing.  I expect they will be back in the fields for viewing tonight.  This herd had quite a few satellite bulls and the herd bull bugled a lot.

In the south end, the elk herd was out by the Upper Trailhead but also seemed to be heading for cover relatively early.  Again a few satellite bulls.

There were a handful of bulls at the 43/21 intersection fields.

I would say the rut pattern has now shifted to more normal conditions.  We have gone from 1 herd to 2, and the number of satellite bulls has increased.  In the past there have been as many as 5 herds at once during this period.  Perhaps now we are on that road.

Fall color is getting good now.  This morning the trumpeter swans were also close to the road putting on a show for many photographers.  Please don't feed them, it is like sentencing them to death.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.