Sunday, October 20, 2013

10/20/13 Elk Herd Locations Map & Report


Morning elk viewing was nearly impossible this morning due to heavy fog.  I could see no animals except stragglers in my survey of the valley.  If the evening viewing follows the patterns of the last 2 days I would expect there to be pretty good elk viewing in the Ponca fields after 5 or 6 PM.  This has been a little later than usual. I suspect it has to do with the hunting pressure for whitetails. 

I believe the full moon and especially the deer hunting season account for the poor morning viewing. Elk often feed heavily at night under the full moon.  There seem to be a number of deer hunters in Boxley Valley today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.