Tuesday, October 8, 2013

10/8/13 Elk Herd Location Map

Pretty good elk viewing today.  The big Ponca herd took the day off. There were some stragglers around, but the best viewing was in the south end.

People who arrived early saw Little Tine fairly close to the fence at the 43/21 intersection.  The best viewing was down by the river at the south end where "Hooks" and his small harem were very visible. He was posing in nice light for the many photographers and elk watchers.

There were stragglers elsewhere.  Nutty bull elk behavior is beginning to show. Like 16 year old boys at the dance, it is pretty hard to figure what they might do.  Add a little extra caution when you visit the valley.

Visitors saw 2 bald eagles today down by the south end.  This is pretty early, but I have heard reports that the migration seems to be beginning because of the rough weather up north.  We shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.