Monday, October 15, 2012

10/15/12 Elk Herd Locations

Elk viewing remained good today but was over at 9 AM.  The elk are spread across the valley -- a bit more concentrated in the north half of the valley. The Ponca fields north of the pullout are the best viewing opportunities with 2 herds with very nice bulls.

One of the bulls is JYD, with his broken eye guard. The other is Hacksaw, this year a 8x7, with long curving antlers. Both bulls have been herd bulls for a few years and have favored the areas they currently occupy. JYD has traditionally been one of the late rut bulls, often running cows well into December. It will be interesting to see if this pattern holds up.

I believe another herd that is in the back fields could rotate into Lost Valley.

Fall color is better every day.

The 10/15 map is below:


Elk Herd Locations in Boxley Valley 10/15/12

Elk Herd Locations in Boxley Valley near Ponca, AR 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.