Monday, October 22, 2012

October 21 2012 Bull Elk Fight, Boxley Valley by Smith Creek

This bull fight was the first I have seen this year. The setup was ideal. Roughly evenly matched bulls were challenging a small herd bull for control of his harem. Note as you watch this fight, the satellite bulls are helping themselves to the cow elk.

All of this is very standard. It is part of the annual elk rut, now at peak in Boxley Valley, near Ponca, AR. I have witnessed bull elk fights until mid-November. Bull fights can happen any time. I usually see about 3 a year, this was the first.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking time to comment on my blog. I do moderate all comments, so they will not show up immediately, and in some cases not at all. I draw the line at personal attacks (of me or anyone else), and irrelevant posts. Spammers, don't waste my time.

I may quote your comments without attribution. By commenting, you agree to being quoted in all cases, and for all purposes.